Minneriya National Park is a popular tourist destination located in the North Central Province of Sri Lanka. It is renowned for its abundant wildlife and beautiful landscapes. Here is some information about Minneriya National Park that will help you plan your visit:
Minneriya National Park was declared a wildlife sanctuary in 1938 and later upgraded to a national park in 1997. The park is named after the ancient Minneriya Tank, a man-made reservoir built in the 3rd century by King Mahasena. The tank plays a significant role in providing water to the surrounding wildlife, especially during the dry season when it becomes a vital water source attracting large herds of elephants.
Minneriya National Park is famous for its elephant gathering, which is considered one of the largest in the world. During the dry season, usually from July to October, hundreds of elephants migrate to the park in search of water and food, creating a spectacular sight for visitors. Apart from elephants, the park is home to various species of mammals, including sambar deer, spotted deer, sloth bears, leopards, and many species of birds.
Embarking on a safari is the best way to explore Minneriya National Park. Jeep safaris are available, accompanied by experienced guides who will take you through the park's diverse ecosystems and help you spot wildlife. The best time for a safari is during the dry season when animals gather around the Minneriya Tank. It is advisable to book your safari in advance to secure your spot, especially during peak tourist seasons.
Tips for Visitors:
1. Carry binoculars and a camera to capture the wildlife and beautiful landscapes.
2. Wear comfortable clothing and footwear suitable for a safari, as it can get hot and dusty.
3. Apply sunscreen and insect repellent to protect yourself from the sun and insects.
4. Follow the instructions of your guide and maintain a safe distance from the animals for your own safety.
5. Respect the park's rules and regulations, such as not littering and not feeding the animals.
6. It's best to visit Minneriya National Park in the early morning or late afternoon when animals are more active.
7. Consider hiring a knowledgeable guide who can provide insights about the park's flora and fauna.
Minneriya National Park offers a unique wildlife experience and is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. Its incredible biodiversity and the mesmerizing elephant gathering make it a truly unforgettable experience in Sri Lanka.