The Royal Botanical Gardens, located in Peradeniya, near Kandy, Sri Lanka, is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and those interested in the country's rich biodiversity. Here is some information about this beautiful attraction:
History: The Royal Botanical Gardens were first established in 1821 by the British colonial rulers as a research center for exotic plants. Over the years, it has evolved into a renowned botanical garden, covering an area of 147 acres. The gardens were originally used by royalty as a pleasure garden before being opened to the public.
Attractions: The Royal Botanical Gardens boast a stunning collection of more than 4,000 species of plants, including orchids, palm trees, medicinal plants, and giant bamboo. The garden is divided into separate sections, each showcasing different types of flora. One of the highlights is the Avenue of Royal Palms, featuring majestic palm trees lining the pathway. Another popular attraction is the Orchid House, which displays a vast array of colorful and exotic orchids.
Tips for Visitors: To make the most of your visit to the Royal Botanical Gardens, consider the following tips:
1. Comfortable footwear: The garden is quite vast, so wear comfortable shoes to explore the area without any discomfort.
2. Sun protection: Sri Lanka can get quite hot, so it is advisable to wear a hat, use sunscreen, and carry a water bottle to stay hydrated.
3. Timing: Mornings and late afternoons are the best times to visit when the weather is relatively cooler. Also, try to avoid weekends and public holidays to have a more peaceful experience.
4. Guided tours: Consider hiring a knowledgeable guide who can provide insightful information about the different plant species and the history of the garden.
5. Photography: The Royal Botanical Gardens offer countless photo opportunities, so be sure to carry your camera to capture the beauty of the flora and fauna.
6. Respect nature: Remember to follow the rules and regulations of the garden, such as not plucking or damaging any plants, to help preserve this natural treasure.
Visiting the Royal Botanical Gardens is a delightful experience for nature enthusiasts and a great way to learn about Sri Lanka's diverse plant life. Take your time to explore the garden's various sections and immerse yourself in the serene beauty of this botanical paradise.