Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport, located on the beautiful island of Mauritius, is the main international gateway to this tropical paradise. Here is some important information about the airport:
The airport was originally known as Plaisance Airport and was renamed in 1987 in honor of Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam, the first Prime Minister of Mauritius. Over the years, the airport has undergone several expansions and upgrades to accommodate the increasing number of tourists visiting the island.
The airport offers a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable experience for travelers. There are duty-free shops, souvenir stores, restaurants, and cafes where you can relax and enjoy a meal or grab a quick snack. Additionally, currency exchange facilities, ATMs, and car rental services are available for your convenience.
To reach your destination from the airport, you can choose from various transportation options. Taxis and private car services are readily available outside the terminal building. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before getting into a taxi. Alternatively, many hotels provide shuttle services for their guests. Public buses also operate from the airport to different parts of the island.
Tips for Travelers:
1. Visa requirements: Ensure that you have the necessary visa or travel documents before arriving at the airport. Check with your embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information.
2. Currency: The local currency in Mauritius is the Mauritian Rupee (MUR). It is recommended to exchange some currency at the airport to cover immediate expenses.
3. Local customs: Respect the local culture and traditions while in Mauritius. Dress modestly when visiting religious sites and always ask for permission before taking photographs of people.
4. Weather: Mauritius has a tropical climate, with warm temperatures throughout the year. Pack lightweight and breathable clothing, along with sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
5. Language: English and French are widely spoken in Mauritius, along with the local language, Creole. Most people working at the airport will be able to communicate in English.
Mauritius, known for its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and diverse wildlife, offers a memorable experience for tourists. Whether you are visiting for a relaxing beach vacation or seeking adventure in the lush mountains, Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport is your gateway to this enchanting island.