Trou aux Cerfs is a popular tourist attraction located in the town of Curepipe on the island of Mauritius. It is a dormant volcano that offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. Here is some important information about Trou aux Cerfs:
1. History: Trou aux Cerfs is believed to have formed around 700,000 years ago and is considered one of the main dormant volcanoes on the island. The crater is approximately 300 meters in diameter and 85 meters deep.
2. Location: The volcano is situated in Curepipe, which is a charming town located in the central plateau of Mauritius. It is easily accessible by road and is about a 20-minute drive from the capital city, Port Louis.
3. Scenic Views: Visiting Trou aux Cerfs offers visitors the opportunity to witness stunning panoramic views of the surrounding towns, sugarcane fields, and mountains. On a clear day, you can even catch a glimpse of the distant coastline.
4. Nature Walks: The area around Trou aux Cerfs is a haven for nature enthusiasts. There are well-maintained walking trails that allow visitors to explore the lush greenery and witness the diverse flora and fauna of the region.
5. Weather: It is advisable to check the weather conditions before planning a visit to Trou aux Cerfs, as the crater can often be covered in mist or clouds. It is best to visit during the early morning hours when the visibility is usually better.
6. Nearby Attractions: Curepipe, the town near Trou aux Cerfs, has several other attractions worth exploring. These include the Trou aux Cerfs Botanical Garden, the famous horse racing track at Champ de Mars, and the market where you can find local crafts and souvenirs.
7. Safety Precautions: While visiting Trou aux Cerfs, it is important to follow safety guidelines and stay on designated paths. The edges of the crater can be steep, so it is essential to exercise caution while exploring the area.
8. Photography: Trou aux Cerfs provides excellent opportunities for photography, so don't forget to bring your camera or smartphone to capture the stunning views. Remember to respect the environment and avoid littering.
Visiting Trou aux Cerfs is a unique experience that allows you to witness the natural beauty of Mauritius from a different perspective. Whether you are a nature lover or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, this dormant volcano offers a serene and picturesque setting for all visitors.