Fondamenta delle Zattere is a picturesque promenade located in the Dorsoduro district of Venice, Italy. It stretches along the southern waterfront of the city, offering stunning views of the Giudecca Canal and the island of Giudecca.
The name "Zattere" comes from the wooden rafts (zattere) that were used to transport goods along the canal during the Middle Ages. The area has a rich history as it was an important trading hub during the Venetian Republic. Today, it is a popular spot for both locals and tourists to enjoy a leisurely stroll and take in the beauty of the city.
Things to do:
1. Enjoy the views: Fondamenta delle Zattere offers some of the most breathtaking views in Venice. You can admire the iconic Venetian skyline, including the domes of the churches and the bell tower of San Marco.
2. Visit the Peggy Guggenheim Collection: Located near the eastern end of the promenade, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection is a renowned museum dedicated to modern art. It houses an impressive collection of works by artists like Picasso, Pollock, and Dalí.
3. Try local cuisine: Along the promenade, you'll find several cafes and restaurants serving delicious Venetian cuisine. Don't miss the opportunity to try traditional dishes like sarde in saor (marinated sardines) or a refreshing gelato.
4. Explore nearby attractions: Fondamenta delle Zattere is a great starting point to explore other attractions in the Dorsoduro district, such as the Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute or the Gallerie dell'Accademia.
Tips for visitors:
1. Visit during sunset: The promenade offers a stunning view of the sunset over the lagoon. It's a perfect time to capture some beautiful photos and enjoy the romantic atmosphere.
2. Take a vaporetto ride: You can reach Fondamenta delle Zattere by taking a vaporetto (water bus) from the main areas of Venice. It's a great way to experience the city from the water and enjoy the scenic ride.
3. Wear comfortable shoes: Venice is a city of narrow streets and bridges, and Fondamenta delle Zattere is no exception. Be prepared to do some walking, so wear comfortable shoes to explore the area without any discomfort.
Fondamenta delle Zattere is undoubtedly a must-visit location in Venice, offering a unique perspective of the city's beauty and a chance to immerse yourself in its rich history and culture.