Golden Lane, located in Prague, Czech Republic, is a charming and historic street that attracts tourists from all over the world. Here is some important information about this popular destination:
History: Golden Lane, also known as Zlatá ulička, dates back to the 16th century. Originally, it was a row of small houses built into the fortification walls of Prague Castle, which served as dwellings for the castle's defenders. Over the years, the lane was inhabited by goldsmiths, alchemists, and other craftsmen, hence the name "Golden Lane." Today, the houses have been transformed into shops, museums, and exhibits, offering visitors a glimpse into Prague's rich history.
Tips for Tourists:
1. Opening Hours: Golden Lane is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. However, it's important to note that it can get quite crowded, especially during peak tourist season. Arriving early in the morning or later in the afternoon can help you avoid the crowds.
2. Prague Castle Ticket: To access Golden Lane, you need to purchase a ticket to Prague Castle, which includes entry to several other attractions within the castle complex. It's recommended to buy your ticket in advance to avoid waiting in long queues.
3. Explore the Houses: Take your time to explore the various houses along Golden Lane. Each house has been reconstructed to represent different historical periods, giving you a sense of what life was like in Prague during different eras. Some of the houses are dedicated to famous Czech writers, such as Franz Kafka.
4. Souvenirs and Shops: Golden Lane is home to many small shops and boutiques where you can find unique souvenirs and traditional Czech crafts. From handmade jewelry to traditional puppets, this street offers a wide range of shopping opportunities.
5. Photography: Golden Lane is incredibly picturesque, with its colorful houses and cobblestone streets. Don't forget to bring your camera and capture the beauty of this historic lane. However, be mindful of other visitors and respect any photography restrictions in place.
6. Museum of Medieval Armor: One of the highlights of Golden Lane is the Museum of Medieval Armor, located in house number 12. Here, you can see a collection of armor, weapons, and medieval artifacts. It's a fascinating experience for history enthusiasts.
Golden Lane is a must-visit destination in Prague for its historical significance and unique atmosphere. Don't miss the opportunity to stroll along this enchanting street and immerse yourself in Prague's rich past.